Skip to Main Content
Characterization and Field Studies of a Cucumber Mosaic Virus Isolate from Spinach in the Winter Garden Area of TexasAuthor(s): A. Dan Wilson; R.S. Halliwell
Source: Plant Disease 69:751-754, September 1985
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (184 KB)
DescriptionAn isolate of cucumber mosaic virus (CMV) was identified from spinach in the Winter Garden area of Texas. The isolate was very closely related serologically to strain S of CMVand is designated the Texas spinach isolate of CMV-S. The virus infected 39 species of crop plants and wild hosts in 12 of 13 families tested. The green peach aphid efficiently transmitted the virus experimentally. The isolate had a sedimentation coefficient of 91.8±0.1 S as determined by analytical ultracentrifugal analysis. Virions with a mean diameter of 28.9±0.3 nm were found in purified preparations with electron microscropy. A single protein subunit with a mean molecular weight of 25,300±255 daltons was found by sodium dodecyl sulfate polacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE). Four separate RNA species were resolved by agarose-gel electrophoresis under denaturing conditions. The mean molecular weight distribution of the viral genome was 1.22, 1.09,0.77, and 0.36 X 106 the field studies, planting date and plant age at inoculation had no significant effect on crop yield, although CMV infection was highly significant. The isolate significantly affected yields of three spinach cultivars, with reductions ranging from 23.8 to 47.4%.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilson, A. Dan; Halliwell, R.S. 1985. Characterization and Field Studies of a Cucumber Mosaic Virus Isolate from Spinach in the Winter Garden Area of Texas. Plant Disease 69:751-754, September 1985
Keywordsspinach blight, Spinacia oleracea
- Transgenic virus resistance in crop-wild Cucurbita pepo does not prevent vertical transmission of zucchini yellow mosaic virus
- Starch gel electrophoresis of conifer seeds: a laboratory manual
- Canine Distemper in an isolated population of fishers (Martes pennanti) from California
XML: View XML