Skip to Main Content
NED-2: a decision support system for integrated forest ecosystem managementAuthor(s): Mark J. Twery; Peter D. Knopp; Scott A. Thomasma; H. Michael Rauscher; Donald E. Nute; Walter D. Potter; Frederick Maier; Jin Wang; Mayukh Dass; Hajime Uchiyama; Astrid Glende; Robin E. Hoffman
Source: Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 49:24-43
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (2.27 MB)
DescriptionNED-2 is a Windows-based system designed to improve project-level planning and decision making by providing useful and scientifically sound information to natural resource managers. Resources currently addressed include visual quality, ecology, forest health, timber, water, and wildlife. NED-2 expands on previous versions of NED applications by integrating treatment prescriptions, growth simulation, and alternative comparisons with evaluations of multiple resources across a management unit. The NED-2 system is adaptable for small private holdings, large public properties, or cooperative management across multiple ownerships. NED-2 implements a goal-driven decision process that ensures that all relevant goals are considered; the character and current condition of forestland are known; alternatives to manage the land are designed and tested; the future forest under each alternative is simulated; and the alternative selected achieves the owner's goals. NED-2 is designed to link with the NedLite package for field data collection using a handheld PDA, and is constructed to be easy to link to third-party applications. The NED process is being field tested to demonstrate its utility and identify weaknesses. Results of case studies are summarized for two owners, a private individual and the City of Baltimore, Maryland, and its reservoir lands.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTwery, Mark J.; Knopp, Peter D.; Thomasma, Scott A.; Rauscher, H. Michael; Nute, Donald E.; Potter, Walter D.; Maier, Frederick; Wang, Jin; Dass, Mayukh; Uchiyama, Hajime; Glende, Astrid; Hoffman, Robin E. 2005. NED-2: a decision support system for integrated forest ecosystem management. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 49:24-43
- NED-2: A decision support system for integrated forest ecosystem management
- An Intelligent Information System for forest management: NED/FVS integration
- NED-2 User's Guide
XML: View XML