Skip to Main Content
Calibration of the STEMS diameter growth model using FIA dataAuthor(s): Veronica C. Lessard
Source: In: Hansen, Mark; Burk, Tom, eds. Integrated tools for natural resources inventories in the 21st century. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-212. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 525-532.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (569.13 KB)
DescriptionThe diameter growth model used in STEMS, the Stand and Tree Evaluation and Modeling System, was originally calibrated using data from permanent growth plots in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Because the model has been applied in predicting growth using Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) data, it was appropriate to refit the model to FIA data. The model was calibrated for four species - quaking aspen, balsam fir, paper birch, and red pine using FIA data from the Aspen-Birch and Northern Pine Units of northeastern Minnesota. To compare the new and original calibrations of the model, it was important to use the same formulation and methodology in refitting the model, in this way differences due to the data sets would not be confounded with differences in model form or approach. Although STEMS was originally calibrated on permanent growth plot data, when applied to FIA data it produced estimates that were equivalent to those of the STEMS model that was refit to FIA data. Both models produced biased estimates that had large variation. Efforts to improve model performance should focus on improving the model form.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLessard, Veronica C. 2000. Calibration of the STEMS diameter growth model using FIA data. In: Hansen, Mark; Burk, Tom, eds. Integrated tools for natural resources inventories in the 21st century. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-212. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 525-532.
- Site-index comparisons for tree species in northern Minnesota.
- Modeling potential climate change impacts on the trees of the northeastern United States
- Community type classification of forest vegetation in young, mixed stands, interior Alaska.
XML: View XML