Skip to Main Content
Comparing the STEMS and AFIS growth models with respect to the uncertainty of predictionsAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts; Margaret R. Holdaway; Veronica C. Lessard
Source: In: Hansen, Mark; Burk, Tom, eds. Integrated tools for natural resources inventories in the 21st century. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-212. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 539-548.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (505.74 KB)
DescriptionThe uncertainty in 5-, 10-, and 20-year diameter growth predictions is estimated using Monte Carlo simulations for four Lake States tree species. Two sets of diameter growth models are used: recalibrations of the STEMS models using forest inventory and analysis data, and new growth models developed as a component of an annual forest inventory system for the North Central region of the United States. Particular attention is focused on the effects that uncertainty in the values of predictor variables has on the uncertainty of model predictions. The cumulative effects of uncertainty in model predictions for individual trees on the uncertainty of basal area predictions at the plot and regional levels are also investigated.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E.; Holdaway, Margaret R.; Lessard, Veronica C. 2000. Comparing the STEMS and AFIS growth models with respect to the uncertainty of predictions. In: Hansen, Mark; Burk, Tom, eds. Integrated tools for natural resources inventories in the 21st century. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-212. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 539-548.
- Analyzing The Uncertainty Of Diameter Growth Model Predictions
- Diameter Growth Models for Inventory Applications
- Partitioning the Uncertainty in Estimates of Mean Basal Area Obtained from 10-year Diameter Growth Model Predictions
XML: View XML