Skip to Main Content
Data fusion of Landsat TM and IRS images in forest classificationAuthor(s): Guangxing Wang; Markus Holopainen; Eero Lukkarinen
Source: In: Hansen, Mark; Burk, Tom, eds. Integrated tools for natural resources inventories in the 21st century. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-212. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 654-663.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (847.07 KB)
DescriptionData fusion of Landsat TM images and Indian Remote Sensing satellite panchromatic image (IRS-1C PAN) was studied and compared to the use of TM or IRS image only. The aim was to combine the high spatial resolution of IRS-1C PAN to the high spectral resolution of Landsat TM images using a data fusion algorithm. The ground truth of the study was based on a sample of 1,020 relascope plots. The results indicated that compared to use of TM or IRS image only, the data fusion increased the classification accuracy of four tree species classes, three age classes, and their 12 combined stand classes. However, the classification using IRS image alone was not better than that using TM images only.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWang, Guangxing; Holopainen, Markus; Lukkarinen, Eero. 2000. Data fusion of Landsat TM and IRS images in forest classification. In: Hansen, Mark; Burk, Tom, eds. Integrated tools for natural resources inventories in the 21st century. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-212. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 654-663.
- Accuracy assessment of biomass and forested area classification from modis, landstat-tm satellite imagery and forest inventory plot data
- A flexible spatiotemporal method for fusing satellite images with different resolutions
Using forest inventory plot data and satellite imagery from MODIS and Landsat-TM to model spatial distribution patterns of honeysuckle and privet
XML: View XML