Skip to Main Content
Influence of large woody debris on stream insect communities and benthic detritusAuthor(s): A. Dennis Lemly; Robert H. Hilderbrand
Source: Hydrobiologia 421:179-185
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (102.2 KB)
DescriptionWe examined the extent to which benthic detritus loadings and the functional feeding group structure of stream insect communities respond to channel modifications produced by experimental addition of large woody debris (LWD, entire logs) to Stony Creek, VA. Benthic detritus loadings per sample did not change after LWD additions, but large increases in pool habitats created by LWD increased net detritus by an estimated 27 kg (25 percent) in the 250 m of stream receiving LWD. A large increase in the proportional area of pool habitats may result in a dominance of collector-gatherers and corresponding decreases in shredders and scrapers. Functional feeding group community structure in pools was similar spatially and temporally. Riffles were spatially convergent, but differed temporally. Community structure was significantly different between pools and riffles. The results indicate possible large-scale influences in overall community structure due to channel alterations by LWD, but little within-habitat change.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLemly, A. Dennis; Hilderbrand, Robert H. 2000. Influence of large woody debris on stream insect communities and benthic detritus. Hydrobiologia 421:179-185.
- Pool spacing in forest channels
- Effects of large woody debris placement on stream channels and benthic macroinvertebrates
- Trout use of woody debris and habitat in Wine Spring Creek, North Carolina
XML: View XML