Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Forest statistics for South Florida, 1995Author(s): Michael T. Thompson
Source: Resour. Bull. SRS–5. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 52 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (3.74 MB)
DescriptionThis report highlights the principal findings of the seventh forest survey of South Florida. Field work began in September 1994 and was completed in November 1994. Six previous surveys, completed in 1936, 1949, 1959, 1970, 1980, and 1988 provide statistics for measuring changes and trends over the past 59 years. This report primarily emphasizes the changes and trends since 1988. Periodic surveys of forest resources are authorized by the Forest and Rangeland Renewable Resources Research Act of 1978. These surveys are a continuing, nationwide undertaking by the Regional Experiment Stations of the USDA Forest Service. In the Southern United States, these surveys are conducted by two Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Research Work Units at the Southern Research Station, Asheville, NC. The two FIA units, one located in Starkville, MS, and the other in Asheville, NC, are responsible for inventories of 13 Southern States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. The primary objective of these surveys is to periodically inventory and evaluate all forest and related resources. These multiresource data help provide a basis for formulating forest policies and programs and for the orderly development and use of the resources. This report deals only with the extent and condition of forest land, associated timber volumes, and rates of timber growth, mortality, and removals.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThompson, Michael T. 1996. Forest statistics for South Florida, 1995. Resour. Bull. SRS–5. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 52 p.
Keywordstimberland, forest ownership, timber volumes, timber growth, timber removals
- Forest statistics for Central Florida - 1995
- Forest statistics for Southwest Georgia, 1996
- Forest statistics for Georgia, 1997
XML: View XML