Skip to Main Content
Optimum Edging and Trimming of Hardwood LumberAuthor(s): Carmen Regalado; D. Earl Kline; Philip A. Araman
Source: Forest Products Journal. 42(2): 8-14.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (85 KB)
DescriptionBefore the adoption of an automated system for optimizing edging and trimming in hardwood mills, the performance of present manual systems must be evaluated to provide a basis for comparison. a study was made in which lumber values recovered in actual hardwood operations were compared to the output of a computer-based procedure for edging and trimming optimization. The optimization procedure was based on National Hardwood Lumber Association grading rules and market prices for green lumber. Using a sample of 120 red oak boards obtained from three sawmills in southwest Virginia, it was found that the respective mills recovered only 78, 65, and 62 percent of the value yielded by the optimization procedure. Given the level of value recovery actually attained by sawmills, it was concluded that substantial increases in value can be expected from optimizing edging and trimming. Other aspects of interest were investigated, such as the quality (grade) of lumber that benefited most from optimization, the effect of volume loss on value recovery, and the relative impact on lumber value if each operation were optimized independently of each other.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRegalado, Carmen; Kline, D. Earl; Araman, Philip A. 1992. Optimum Edging and Trimming of Hardwood Lumber. Forest Products Journal. 42(2): 8-14.
- Value of Defect Information in Automated Hardwood Edger and Trimmer Systems
- Lumber volume and value recovery from small-diameter black cherry, sugar maple, and red oak logs
- Real-time value optimization of edging and trimming operations for rough, green hardwood lumber
XML: View XML