Skip to Main Content
Life-history perspective of adaptive radiation in desmognathine salamandersAuthor(s): Richard C. Bruce
Source: Copeia. 4:783-790
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (567 B)
DescriptionThis study investigates interspecific variation in age at first reproduction, fecundity, and body size in multispecies assemblages of desmognathine salamanders. The hypotheses tested are that interspecific differences in body size among desmognathines stem proximately from variation in age at first reproduction and that variation in the latter trait is positively correlated with variation in fecundity among species. It is shown that a correlation between age at first reproduction and fecundity, combined with a uniform rate of survival, based on available estimates of these parameters will yield equivalent values of net reproductive rate among the species of a given assemblage. Such equivalence represents a form of life-history symmetry. Data from two assemblages are presented in support of the argument for symmetry. Such life-history symmetry may reflect uniformity in morphological specialization in desmognathines. Given the morphological adaptations to burrowing (head-wedging) in the subfamily, the relationship between adult body size and habitat preference in Desmognathus may reflect adaptation to the size of cover objects and composition of the substratum along the aquatic-terrestrial habitat gradient. The scientist proposes that these variables, in association with predation and competition, represent the selective factors responsible for body size diversification in Desmognathus.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBruce, Richard C. 1996. Life-history perspective of adaptive radiation in desmognathine salamanders. Copeia. 4:783-790
- Size-Mediated Tradeoffs in Life-History Traits in Dusky Salamanders
- Reproductive allometry in three species of Dusky Salamanders
- The role of fecundity and reproductive effort in defining life history strategies of North American freshwater mussels
XML: View XML