Skip to Main Content
Location uncertainty and the tri-areal designAuthor(s): Francis A. Roesch
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the seventh annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; October 3-6, 2005; Portland, ME. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-77. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service: 221-226.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (1.23 MB)
DescriptionThe U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service Forest Inventory and Analysis Program (FIA) uses a field plot design that incorporates multiple sample selection mechanisms. Not all of the five FIA units currently use the entire suite of available sample selection mechanisms. These sampling selection mechanisms could be described in a number of ways with respect to the optional mechanism known as the annular plot. The annular plot is an auxiliary sampling mechanism intended for sampling rare attributes of interest. One explanation is that the subplot, which samples all trees greater than or equal to 5 in diameter at breast height (d.b.h.), is surrounded by an annular plot, concentric with the subplot for the estimation of rare but regionally important events.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoesch, Francis A. 2007. Location uncertainty and the tri-areal design. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the seventh annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; October 3-6, 2005; Portland, ME. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-77. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service: 221-226.
- Location uncertainty and the tri-areal design
- Information for forest process models: a review of NRS-FIA vegetation measurements
- Considerations in Forest Growth Estimation Between Two Measurements of Mapped Forest Inventory Plots
XML: View XML