Skip to Main Content
A Bayesian approach to multisource forest area estimationAuthor(s): Andrew O. Finley
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the seventh annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; October 3-6, 2005; Portland, ME. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-77. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service: 261-264.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (1023.75 KB)
DescriptionIn efforts such as land use change monitoring, carbon budgeting, and forecasting ecological conditions and timber supply, demand is increasing for regional and national data layers depicting forest cover. These data layers must permit small area estimates of forest and, most importantly, provide associated error estimates. This paper presents a model-based approach for coupling mid-resolution satellite imagery with plot-based forest inventory data to produce estimates of probability of forest and associated error at the pixel level. The proposed Bayesian hierarchical model provides access to each pixel's posterior predictive distribution allowing for a highly flexible analysis of pixel and multipixel areas of interest.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFinley, Andrew O. 2007. A Bayesian approach to multisource forest area estimation. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the seventh annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; October 3-6, 2005; Portland, ME. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-77. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service: 261-264.
- The effects of rectification and Global Positioning System errors on satellite image-based estimates of forest area
- Forest aboveground biomass mapping and estimation across multiple spatial scales using model-based inference
- Modeling forest ecosystem changes resulting from surface coal mining in West Virginia
XML: View XML