Skip to Main Content
Recreational aspects of forestland easements in the northern forest region of New York StateAuthor(s): Steven Beck; Harry L., Jr. Haney; Chad P. Dawson
Source: In: Vogelsong, Hans G., comp, ed. Proceedings of the 1997 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 1997 April 6 - 9; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-241. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 21-24.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (373.78 KB)
DescriptionForestland easements are the subset of conservation easements encumbering forested properties. These less than fee interests in private land are flexible legal mechanisms that contribute to a diverse collection of land use influences. This study of forestland easements and their grantors in the northern forest region of New York State revealed that recreation rights are an important aspect in the decision by forest landowners to grant a conservation easement. These recreation rights may be legally acquired by the grantee, retained by the grantor, or divided in ways that allows both parties to share them. Financial and nonfinancial values placed on the use of forestland for recreation are evident in the factors affecting the decisions of landowners who granted forestland easements. Private, non-industrial landowners who donated forestland easements most often retain recreation rights to the protected property. Industrial landowners who sold forestland easements commonly granted broad public access to the protected property for recreation.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBeck, Steven; Haney, Harry L., Jr.; Dawson, Chad P. 1998. Recreational aspects of forestland easements in the northern forest region of New York State. In: Vogelsong, Hans G., comp, ed. Proceedings of the 1997 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 1997 April 6 - 9; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-241. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 21-24.
- Conservation easements in the Adirondack Park of New York state
- Conservation Easements and Management by Family Forest Owners: A Propensity Score Matching Approach with Multi-Imputations of Survey Data
- Influence of financial incentive programs in sustaining wildlife values
XML: View XML