Skip to Main Content
Permitting pets in Florida State Park campgrounds: selected perceptions of campersAuthor(s): Andy Holdnak; Steve Holland; Tony Fedler
Source: In: Vogelsong, Hans G., comp, ed. Proceedings of the 1997 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 1997 April 6 - 9; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-241. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 33-35.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (197.59 KB)
DescriptionSince the 1950s pets have been excluded from Florida State Park Campgrounds. In response to public comment and pressure, the Florida State Park System recently began to reconsider this policy. The initial step in this process was to survey campers to examine camper characteristics and perception's about a variety of campground issues, particularly attitudes towards allowing pets in Florida State Park campgrounds. This paper discusses the findings. People with previous camping experience at campgrounds that permitted pets reported only slight negative impacts. Most campers expected that permitting pets in campgrounds would have negative impacts on campground noise and the observance of wildlife. If behavior is consistent with stated intention, permitting pets in the state park campgrounds would result in a slight increase in overall camping frequency.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHoldnak, Andy; Holland, Steve; Fedler, Tony. 1998. Permitting pets in Florida State Park campgrounds: selected perceptions of campers. In: Vogelsong, Hans G., comp, ed. Proceedings of the 1997 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 1997 April 6 - 9; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-241. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 33-35.
- Camper attitudes and perceptions concerning the presence of pets in ten Pennsylvania state park campgrounds
- Economic contribution of recreating visitors to the Florida Keys/Key West
- The Relationship between Wildfires and Tourist Behaviors in Florida: An Exploratory Study
XML: View XML