Skip to Main Content
International students' image of rural Pennsylvania as a travel destinationAuthor(s): Po-Ju Chen; Deborah L. Kerstetter
Source: In: Vogelsong, Hans G., comp, ed. Proceedings of the 1997 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 1997 April 6 - 9; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-241. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 93-98.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (452.65 KB)
DescriptionThe purpose of this study was to examine the image international students at Penn State have of rural travel destinations in the state of Pennsylvania. In addition, this study investigated whether destination image differed depending upon travel behavior and socio-demographic variables. Four distinct image dimensions, "tourism infrastructure," "atmosphere," "natural amenity," and "farm life" were uncovered. Overall image scores on the image dimensions differed with respect to one travel behavior variable, future travel intention, and four socio-demographic variables: household status, class standing, gender, and country of origin. There was a relationship between image dimensions and age. The findings could be helpful to marketers interested in positioning their rural tourism destination and could offer image profiles to generate targeted campaigns to sub-groups of the international student market.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChen, Po-Ju; Kerstetter, Deborah L. 1998. International students'' image of rural Pennsylvania as a travel destination. In: Vogelsong, Hans G., comp, ed. Proceedings of the 1997 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 1997 April 6 - 9; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-241. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 93-98.
- Image of the United States as a travel destination: a case study of United Kingdom college students
- A comparison of motivations between island tourists visiting Penghu, Taiwan, and Phuket, Thailand
- Quality of customer service: perceptions from guests in all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica
XML: View XML