Skip to Main Content
Illinois' Forests 2005Author(s): Susan J. Crocker; Gary J. Brand; Brett J. Butler; David E. Haugen; Dick C. Little; Dacia M. Meneguzzo; Charles H. Perry; Ronald J. Piva; Barry T. Wilson; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-29. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 114 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (7.35 MB)
DescriptionThe first full, annualized inventory of Illinois' forests reports more than 4.5 million acres of forest land with an average of 459 trees per acre. Forest land is dominated by oak/hickory forest types, which occupy 65 percent of total forest land area. Seventy-two percent of forest land consists of sawtimber, 20 percent contains poletimber, and 8 percent contains sapling/seedlings. The volume of growing stock on timberland has been rising since 1948 and currently totals 6.8 billion cubic feet. The average annual net growth of growing stock from 1998 to 2005 is 327 million cubic feet per year. Additional information on forest attributes, changing land use patterns, timber products, and forest health is included in this report.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCrocker, Susan J.; Brand, Gary J.; Butler, Brett J.; Haugen, David E.; Little, Dick C.; Meneguzzo, Dacia M.; Perry, Charles H.; Piva, Ronald J.; Wilson, Barry T.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2009. Illinois'' Forests 2005. Resour. Bull. NRS-29. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 114 p.
Keywordsinventory, forest statistics, forest land, volume, biomass, riparian, growth, removals, mortality, forest health, Illinois
XML: View XML