Skip to Main Content
Tourism marketing: the best there is--a study of West VirginiaAuthor(s): Stephanie L. Thorn; Roy Ramthun
Source: In: Klenosky, David B.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. Proceedings of the 2008 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2008 March 30 - April 1; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-42. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 72-77.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (446.07 KB)
DescriptionThe purpose of this study is to understand and define the "best" marketing practices in the tourism industry for destination marketing organizations and to identify what convention and visitors bureaus in West Virginia are doing to meet these standards. Little research has been conducted on tourism marketing practices; therefore, a standardized list of practices was created using references from major marketing corporations, travel associations, accreditation programs, and universities worldwide. Then quantitative and qualitative research was conducted via telephone and the Internet to collect information from 24 convention and visitors bureaus belonging to the West Virginia Association of Convention and Visitors Bureaus and the West Virginia Division of Tourism. A comparison was made between West Virginia agency practices and the identified best marketing practices. The importance of tourism marketing and its impacts is also discussed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThorn, Stephanie L.; Ramthun, Roy. 2009. Tourism marketing: the best there is--a study of West Virginia. In: Klenosky, David B.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. Proceedings of the 2008 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2008 March 30 - April 1; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-42. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 72-77.
- Perceptions of relative attractiveness of nature-based tourism assets: A comparison between CVB directors and visitors
- Connecting West Virginia fee-fishing businesses with the larger tourism market through the development of tourism package
- Visitors' perceptions of tourism development in West Virginia
XML: View XML