Skip to Main Content
The influence of cutting-bill requirements on lumber yield using a fractional-factorial design part II, correlation and number of part sizesAuthor(s): Urs Buehlmann; D. Earl Kline; Janice K. Wiedenbeck; R., Jr. Noble
Source: Wood and Fiber Science 40(4): 610-619.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (887.48 KB)
DescriptionCutting-bill requirements, among other factors, influence the yield obtained when cutting lumber into parts. The first part of this 2-part series described how different cutting-bill part sizes, when added to an existing cutting-bill, affect lumber yield, and quantified these observations. To accomplish this, the study employed linear least squares estimation technique. This second paper again looks at the influence of cutting-bill requirements but establishes a measure of how preferable it is to have a given part size required by the cutting-bill. The influence of the number of different part sizes to be cut simultaneously on lumber yield is also investigated.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBuehlmann, Urs; Kline, D. Earl; Wiedenbeck, Janice K.; Noble, R., Jr. 2008. The influence of cutting-bill requirements on lumber yield using a fractional-factorial design part II, Correlation and number of part sizes. Wood and Fiber Science 40(4):610-619.
KeywordsCutting-bill requirements, lumber yield, rip-first rough mill, fractional-factorial design, interaction between cutting-bill requirements and yield, influence of part size and quantity on yield
- Effect of cutting bill requirements on lumber yield in a rip-first rough mill
- Validation of the standardized and simplified cutting bill
- Creating a standardized and simplified cutting bill using group technology
XML: View XML