Skip to Main Content
Hardwood log defect photographic database, software and user's guideAuthor(s): R. Edward Thomas
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-40. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 21 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.8 MB)
DescriptionComputer software and user's guide for Hardwood Log Defect Photographic Database. The database contains photographs and information on external hardwood log defects and the corresponding internal characteristics. This database allows users to search for specific defect types, sizes, and locations by tree species. For every defect, the database contains photos of the defect at 1-inch intervals as it penetrates the log and a brief summary of the defect's measurements and features. The defect data presented here was collected from three sites in West Virginia.
Note: the photographic database, software and user's guide are only available on DVD. To obtain a copy of the DVD, please use the Order a printed copy of this publication link.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThomas, R. Edward. 2009. Hardwood log defect photographic database, software and user''s guide. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-40. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 21 p.
Keywordsyellow-poplar, red oak, internal, external, features
- ALOG user's manual: A Guide to using the spreadsheet-based artificial log generator
- Photo guide for estimating risk to hardwood trees during prescribed burning operations in eastern oak forests
- Photo guide for estimating fuel loading and fire behavior in mixed-oak forests of the Mid-Atlantic Region
XML: View XML