Skip to Main Content
Emergent issues in forest plan revision: a dialogueAuthor(s): Susan I. Stewart; Pamela J. Jakes; Paul Monson
Source: In: Vogelsong, Hans G., comp, ed. Proceedings of the 1997 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 1997 April 6 - 9; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-241. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 220-224.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (518.06 KB)
DescriptionWorking with National Forest planners can raise many questions for social scientists regarding their role in planning or plan revision. Social scientists from the North Central Forest Experiment Station and the National Forest System Eastern Region debate 3 questions that continue to surface in their work with Forest Service managers on plan revision: first, what is the role of social scientists in the critical venue of public involvement? Second, the costly and time consuming task of social assessment is considered: what are the merits of full versus partial social assessments? And third, along more philosophical lines, do social scientists play the same role in plan revision that all other scientists play, or do social scientists play a potentially more sensitive role? Because there are no simple right and wrong answers, this paper explores the questions in point-counterpoint style.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStewart, Susan I.; Jakes, Pamela J.; Monson, Paul. 1998. Emergent issues in forest plan revision: a dialogue. In: Vogelsong, Hans G., comp, ed. Proceedings of the 1997 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 1997 April 6 - 9; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-241. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 220-224.
- Research perspectives on the public and fire management: a synthesis of current social science on eight essential questions
- Girl Scout firewise patch and camps: youth working with communities to adapt to wildfire
- Etoile Firewise: youth working with communities to adapt to wildfire
XML: View XML