Skip to Main Content
Evaluating the virulence and longevity of non-woven fiber bands impregnated with Metarhizium anisopliae against the Asian longhorned beetle, Anoplophora glabripennis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae)Author(s): Ryan P. Shanley; Melody Keena; Micheal M. Wheeler; Jarrod Leland; Ann E. Hajek
Source: Biological Control. 50: 94-102.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (286.63 KB)
DescriptionFiber bands impregnated with entomopathogenic fungi (=fungal bands) provide an effective method for controlling the invasive Asian longhorned beetle, Anoplophora glabripennis (Motschulsky) (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae). In this study we investigated the effective longevity of fungal bands for use against A. glabripennis, using several fungal strains. In the laboratory, adult beetles were immobilized on squares of fungal band impregnated with Metarhizium anisopliae (Metsch.) Sorokin isolate F 52 (ARSEF 7711) cultures to establish the median lethal concentration of 3.08 x 106 conidia/cm2. During the summers of 2001-2004, bands impregnated with strains of M. anisopliae (2002-2004), Beauveria bassiana (2002), and Beauveria brongniartii (2001) were attached to trunks of trees in Queens, New York City to evaluate changes in densities of viable conidia over intervals of up to 119 days.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
CitationShanley, Ryan P.; Keena, Melody; Wheeler, Micheal M.; Leland, Jarrod; Hajek, Ann E. 2009. Evaluating the virulence and longevity of non-woven fiber bands impregnated with Metarhizium anisopliae against the Asian longhorned beetle, Anoplophora glabripennis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae). Biological Control. 50: 94-102.
KeywordsAnoplophora glabripennis, Metarhizium anisopliae, Beauveria bassiana, Beauveria brongniartii, LC50, fungal bands, biological control, entomopathogenic fungi
- Microbial control of emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) with Beauveria bassiana strain GHA: Greenhouse and field trials
- Microbial control of Asian longhorned beetles - what are fungal bands?
- Virulence of entomopathogenic hypocrealean fungi infecting Anoplophora glabripennis
XML: View XML