Skip to Main Content
Host selection and feeding preference of Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) on ash (Fraxinus spp.)Author(s): Deepa S. Pureswaran; Therese M. Poland
Source: Environmental Entomology. 38(3): 757-765.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (305.8 KB)
DescriptionWe studied the host selection behavior and feeding preference of the emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (Coleoptera: Buprestidae). A. planipennis is an exotic forest insect pest native to Asia that was discovered in North America in 2002 and is causing widespread mortality of ash trees (Fraxinus spp.) in southeast Michigan and surrounding states. We compared host selection and feeding behavior on different species of ash including Manchurian ash (F. mandshurica Rupr.), green ash (F. pennsylvanica Marsh), white ash (F. americana L.), black ash (F. nigra Marsh), blue ash (F. quadrangulata Michx.), and European ash (F. excelsior L). Manchurian ash is native to Asia, whereas the other species (native to North America or Europe) represent novel hosts for A. planipennis. Beetles distributed themselves more frequently and fed to a greater extent on green, black, and white ash compared with blue, European, and Manchurian ash. Although beetles consumed every ash species offered to them, Manchurian ash and blue ash were least preferred in feeding bioassays.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPureswaran, Deepa S.; Poland, Therese M. 2009. Host selection and feeding preference of Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) on ash (Fraxinus spp.). Environmental Entomology. 38(3): 757-765.
Keywordsnative versus exotic hosts, olfactory cues, host volatiles
- Comparison of emerald ash borer preference for ash of different species, sun exposure, age, and stress treatments in relation to foliar volatiles and nutrition
- The distribution of ash in North America
- Ashes to ashes: Large Fraxinus germplasm collections and their fates
XML: View XML