Skip to Main Content
The Finnish national forest inventoryAuthor(s): Erkki Tomppo
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 39-46.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (1017.13 KB)
DescriptionThe National Forest Inventory (NFI) of Finland has produced large-area forest resource information since the beginning of 1920s (Ilvessalo 1927). When the 10th inventory (NFI10) started in 2004, the design was changed and the rotation shortened to 5 years. Measurements are done in the entire country each year through measuring one-fifth of the plots. About one-fifth of all plots are measured as permanent. Using field data only, it is possible to compute reliable estimates for large areas, the minimum size of the area is typically some hundreds of thousands of hectares. In practical forestry, estimates are also often required for smaller units such as municipalities with typical areas of tens of thousands of hectares. This is possible only if ancillary data are used in addition to sparse field data. The Finnish multisource NFI uses satellite images and digital map data, in addition to field data, and produces estimates for small areas and wall-to-wall maps. Information from the Finnish NFI has traditionally been used in large area forest management planning, such as planning regional and national level cutting, improving silviculture and forest regimes, making decisions concerning forest industry investments, and providing a basis for forest income taxation. The NFI also provides forest resource information for national and international forest statistics and processes such as the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization's (FAO) Forest Resource Assessment process and the Land Use, Land-Use Change and Forestry reporting of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change Sampling designs for the ninth inventory rotation (NFI9)?conducted from 1996 to 2003?and NFI10 are described, as well as the basic principles of estimation methods based on field data only.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTomppo, Erkki. 2009. The Finnish national forest inventory. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 39-46.
- The Finnish multisource national forest inventory: small-area estimation and map production
- The new Brazilian national forest inventory
- Advances and emerging issues in national forest inventories
XML: View XML