Skip to Main Content
Forest resources of the United States, 2002: mapping the renewable resource planning act dataAuthor(s): Cassandra M. Kurtz; Daniel J. Kaisershot; Dale D. Gormanson; Jeffery S. Wazenegger
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service: 53-57.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (1.06 MB)
DescriptionForest Inventory and Analysis (FIA), a national program of the Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture conducts and maintains comprehensive inventories of the forest resources in the United States. The Forest and Rangeland Renewable Resources Planning Act (RPA) of 1974 mandates a comprehensive assessment of past trends, current status, and the future potential of forest resources across the United States. Data for the RPA represent the highest level of aggregation of timberland and forest land statistics generated by the FIA program. This article describes several forest attributes that make up the FIA 2002 RPA national map atlas series and presents several of the maps. The maps are a crucial tool for visualizing, analyzing, and presenting forest resource information essential to national and regional forest planning and policymaking.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKurtz, Cassandra M.; Kaisershot, Daniel J.; Gormanson, Dale D.; Wazenegger, Jeffery S. 2009. Forest resources of the United States, 2002: mapping the renewable resource planning act data. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 53-57.
- Mapping forest resources of the United States
- Comparison of U.S. Forest Land AreaEstimates From Forest Inventory and Analysis, National Resources Inventory, and Four Satellite Image-Derived Land Cover Data Sets
- Filling the gap: improving estimates of working tree resources in agricultural landscapes
XML: View XML