Skip to Main Content
A method for examining the impacts of Oregon land use laws on forest lands and farmlandsAuthor(s): David L. Azuma; Gary Lettman; Erica Hanson
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 79-82.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (650.6 KB)
DescriptionOver the past 8 years, the Pacific Northwest Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis unit, in conjunction with the Oregon Department of Forestry, Oregon Department of Agriculture, and Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development, has researched the effect of Oregon's land use laws on the conversion and development of land. The studies have used aerial photography photopoints to classify land use into broad categories and to count the number of structures in an 80-acre circle around the photopoint. Several studies have looked at the probability of management on forest land as a function of increased structures and proximity to more developed zones. A recent State ballot measure has established a system to challenge some of the land use restrictions, and a new study is under way to establish a new baseline for evaluating future development within the State. Using digital imagery, we will be capturing a digital version of the land use polygons, enabling ease of future assessments.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAzuma, David L.; Lettman, Gary; Hanson, Erica. 2009. A method for examining the impacts of Oregon land use laws on forest lands and farmlands. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 79-82.
- A bird’s-eye view: Land-use planning and assessments in Oregon and Washington
- Bureau of Land Management density management study.
- Forests on the edge: evaluating contributions of and threats to America's private forest lands
XML: View XML