Skip to Main Content
The distribution of mercury in a forest floor transect across the central United StatesAuthor(s): Charles H. (Hobie) Perry; Michael C. Amacher; William Cannon; Randall K. Kolka; Laurel Woodruff
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 103-108.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (1.87 MB)
DescriptionMercury (Hg) stored in soil organic matter may be released when the forest floor is consumed by fire. Our objective is to document the spatial distribution of forest floor Hg for a transect crossing the central United States. Samples collected by the Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture's Forest Inventory and Analysis Soil Quality Indicator were tested for Hg using cold-vapor atomic absorption. We found patterns of Hg concentration that differ from earlier studies; the patterns of Hg concentration had a bimodal distribution with high values in both the northern Rocky Mountains and the Great Lake States. Future work will include an evaluation of the role of elevation and forest type on Hg storage.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPerry, Charles H. (Hobie); Amacher, Michael C.; Cannon, William; Kolka, Randall K.; Woodruff, Laurel. 2009. The distribution of mercury in a forest floor transect across the central United States. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 103-108.
- Singular and combined effects of blowdown, salvage logging, and wildfire on forest floor and soil mercury pools
- Impacts of invasive earthworms on soil mercury cycling: Two mass balance approaches to an earthworm invasion in a northern Minnesota forest
- Atmospheric deposition and re-emission of mercury estimated in a prescribed forest-fire experiment in Florida, USA
XML: View XML