Skip to Main Content
Dimensionality and the sample unitAuthor(s): Francis A. Roesch
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 109-113.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (844.58 KB)
DescriptionThe sample unit and its implications for the Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture's Forest Inventory and Analysis program are discussed in light of a generalized three-dimensional concept of continuous forest inventories. The concept views the sampled population as a spatial-temporal cube and the sample as a finite partitioning of the cube. The sample serves to cut the volume of the cube into a finite number of pieces like a three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle. Each puzzle piece is defined by the spatial-temporal selection volumes of observation sets on the individual trees existing in the forest during the period of interest. The concept is developed as a temporal extension of the alternative view of forest sampling offered in Roesch et al. (1993).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoesch, Francis A. 2009. Dimensionality and the sample unit. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 109-113.
- An alternative view of continuous forest inventories
- An Alternative View of Forest Sampling
- Time as a dimension of the sample design in national-scale forest inventories
XML: View XML