Skip to Main Content
Predicting bird habitat quality from a geospatial analysis of FIA dataAuthor(s): John M. Tirpak; D. Todd Jones-Farrand; Frank R., III Thompson; Daniel J. Twedt; Mark D. Nelson; William B., III Uihlein
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 171-178.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (1.36 MB)
DescriptionThe ability to assess the influence of site-scale forest structure on avian habitat suitability at an ecoregional scale remains a major methodological constraint to effective biological planning for forest land birds in North America. We evaluated the feasibility of using forest inventory and analysis (FIA) data to define vegetation structure within forest patches, which were delineated from independent geospatial data sets of ecological subsection, forest type, and landform class. We used Swainson?s warbler (Limnothlypis swainsonii, Audubon) as a model to demonstrate how to integrate FIA data with geospatial data sets to estimate and monitor habitat suitability for a priority bird species in the West Gulf Coastal Plain/Ouachita Mountains Bird Conservation Region.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTirpak, John M.; Jones-Farrand, D. Todd; Thompson, Frank R., III; Twedt, Daniel J.; Nelson, Mark D.; Uihlein, William B., III. 2009. Predicting bird habitat quality from a geospatial analysis of FIA data. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 171-178.
- Bird-friendly recommendations for bottomland forests in the Carolinas: birds and people on common ground
- Relationships Between Bird Communities and Forest Age, Structure, Species Composition and Fragmentation in the West Gulf Coastal Plain
- A decision support tool for setting population objectives for priority landbirds in the Central Hardwoods and West Gulf Coastal Plain/Quachitas Bird Conservation Regions
XML: View XML