Skip to Main Content
Building a state prescribed fire program: experiences and lessons learned in OhioAuthor(s): Michael Bowden
Source: In: Hutchinson, Todd F., ed. Proceedings of the 3rd fire in eastern oak forests conference; 2008 May 20-22; Carbondale, IL. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-46. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 118-125.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (494.1 KB)
DescriptionScience continues to show the need for the use of prescribed fire in oak-dominated forests of the eastern United States. Fire is necessary to reduce competition by thin-barked species, allowing for the development of oak advance regeneration. Many agencies are beginning to apply this science by using prescribed fire to manage their oak forests. This paper examines the development of the Ohio Division of Forestry's prescribed fire management program. It outlines the experiences of the Division as it increased use of fire and began burning at the landscape level. Problems, challenges, and lessons learned during the growth of Ohio's prescribed fire program are addressed as well. Although this paper does not provide all of the answers for how to develop a prescribed fire program, it does use the experiences the Ohio Division of Forestry faced over the past 10 years to provide some idea of what expect.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBowden, Michael. 2009. Building a state prescribed fire program: experiences and lessons learned in Ohio. In: Hutchinson, Todd F., ed. Proceedings of the 3rd fire in eastern oak forests conference; 2008 May 20-22; Carbondale, IL. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-46. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 118-125.
- Development of prescribed fire as a silvicultural tool for the upland oak forests of the eastern United States
- The fireoak literature of eastern North America: synthesis and guidelines
- Silviculture to restore oak woodlands
XML: View XML