Skip to Main Content
Precise FIA plot registration using field and dense LIDAR dataAuthor(s): Demetrios Gatziolis
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 243-249.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (2.14 MB)
DescriptionPrecise registration of forest inventory and analysis (FIA) plots is a prerequisite for an effective fusion of field data with ancillary spatial information, which is an approach commonly employed in the mapping of various forest parameters. Although the adoption of Global Positioning System technology has improved the precision of plot coordinates obtained during field visits, in many circumstances, the coordinate uncertainty of plot coordinates remains substantial. Because Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR), an emerging remote sensing technology, in its discrete return form delivers three-dimensional data with centimeter precision, FIA field data registered to LIDAR data would yield exceedingly precise plot coordinates. In this study, a fully automated, three-dimensional variant of the world-view method is used to match individual trees, identified by processing dense (> 4 returns/square meter) LIDAR data, to trees tallied in 45 FIA-like plots, thus retrieving the coordinates of the plot center. Results indicate that this method yields precise plot registration in stands exhibiting local heterogeneity in forest structure, performs better in coniferous rather than deciduous stands, and is robust against the tolerances embedded in tree location and height measurements obtained in the field.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGatziolis, Demetrios 2009. Precise FIA plot registration using field and dense LIDAR data. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 243-249.
- Advancements in LiDAR-based registration of FIA field plots
- Complementing forest inventory data with information from unmanned aerial vehicle imagery and photogrammetry
- Refining FIA plot locations using LiDAR point clouds
XML: View XML