Skip to Main Content
The utility of the cropland data layer for Forest Inventory and AnalysisAuthor(s): Greg C. Liknes; Mark D. Nelson; Dale D. Gormanson; Mark Hansen
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 259-264.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (1.04 MB)
DescriptionThe Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA's) Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis program (NRS-FIA) uses digital land cover products derived from remotely sensed imagery, such as the National Land Cover Dataset (NLCD), for the purpose of variance reduction via postsampling stratification. The update cycle of the NLCD product is infrequent; NLCD 2001 was the first update since the release of NLCD 1992, and was not yet fully completed as of late 2006. Consequently, FIA field data collected as recently as 2005 are being poststratified with land cover data collected more than a decade before. In addition, NRS-FIA has performed its own land cover classification of remotely sensed imagery for use in the stratification of some States, a time-consuming process. Alternative sources of information need to be evaluated both to eliminate the temporal mismatch between land cover data and FIA plot information and to reduce the amount of analyst time required to perform the stratification process.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLiknes, Greg C.; Nelson, Mark D.; Gormanson, Dale D.; Hansen, Mark. 2009. The utility of the cropland data layer for Forest Inventory and Analysis. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 259-264.
- Improving Forest Inventory and Analysis efficiency with common land unit information
- NLCD tree canopy cover (TCC) maps of the contiguous United States and coastal Alaska
- Evaluating Classified MODIS Satellite Imagery as a Stratification Tool
XML: View XML