Skip to Main Content
Rapid mapping of hurricane damage to forestsAuthor(s): Erik M. Nielsen
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 307-316.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (2.82 MB)
DescriptionThe prospects for producing rapid, accurate delineations of the spatial extent of forest wind damage were evaluated using Hurricane Katrina as a test case. A damage map covering the full spatial extent of Katrina?s impact was produced from Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) satellite imagery using higher resolution training data. Forest damage detected in MODIS imagery corresponded well with damaged areas mapped in aerial surveys and matched the patterns expected in relation to maximum sustained winds, topography, and forest type. The results were encouraging for the prospects of rapid assessment using MODIS and other environmental data.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNielsen, Erik M. 2009. Rapid mapping of hurricane damage to forests. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 307-316.
- Production of Landsat ETM+ reference imagery of burned areas within Southern African savannahs: comparison of methods and application to MODIS
- Characterizing a forest insect outbreak in Colorado by using MODIS NDVI phenology data and aerial detection survey data
- Post-hurricane forest damage assessment using satellite remote sensing
XML: View XML