Skip to Main Content
Automatic crown cover mapping to improve forest inventoryAuthor(s): Claude Vidal; Jean-Guy Boureau; Nicolas Robert; Nicolas Py; Josiane Zerubia; Xavier Descombes; Guillaume Perrin
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 333-340.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (2.35 MB)
DescriptionTo automatically analyze near infrared aerial photographs, the French National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control developed together with the French National Forest Inventory (NFI) a method for automatic crown cover mapping. This method uses a Reverse Jump Monte Carlo Markov Chain algorithm to locate the crowns and describe those using ellipses or ellipsoids. The system works well when the crowns can easily be distinguished (e.g., in old, high forests or in poplar plantations). The outputs of such a system can be used as post-stratification criteria to enhance the precision of NFI results. It will also allow computing results at larger scales and provide new data for a better understanding of forest ecosystems.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVidal, Claude; Boureau, Jean-Guy; Robert, Nicolas; Py, Nicolas; Zerubia, Josiane; Descombes, Xavier; Perrin, Guillaume. 2009. Automatic crown cover mapping to improve forest inventory. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the eighth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2006 October 16-19; Monterey, CA. Gen. Tech. Report WO-79. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 333-340.
- The Finnish national forest inventory
- Automated Grading of Rough Hardwood Lumber
- National forest change monitoring system in South Korea: an analysis of forest tree species distribution shifts
XML: View XML