Skip to Main Content
Measurement variability error for estimates of volume changeAuthor(s): James A. Westfall; Paul L. Patterson
Source: Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 37: 2201-2210.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.48 MB)
DescriptionUsing quality assurance data, measurement variability distributions were developed for attributes that affect tree volume prediction. Random deviations from the measurement variability distributions were applied to 19381 remeasured sample trees in Maine. The additional error due to measurement variation and measurement bias was estimated via a simulation study for various components of volume change. In comparison with sampling error, the error due to measurement variation was relatively small. When biases in measurements had contradictory effects on the calculation of individual tree volume, there was little additional error, however, systematic biases produced substantial error increases. The proportion of measurement variation error attributable to diameter at breast height and tree species classification was small relative to that attributable to bole (merchantable) height and percent cull attributes, which composed the preponderance of uncertainty due to measurement variation. The greatest impacts were associated with the accretion component, which was subject to measurement variation and bias at both the initial and subsequent measurements.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWestfall, James A.; Patterson, Paul L. 2007. Measurement variability error for estimates of volume change. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 37: 2201-2210.
- Differences in Computed Individual-Tree Volumes Caused by Differences in Field Measurements
- The Sensitivity of Derived Estimates to the Measurement Quality Objectives for Independent Variables
- Retransformation bias in a stem profile model
XML: View XML