Skip to Main Content
Integrating resource, social and managerial indicators of quality into carrying capacity decision makingAuthor(s): Peter Newman; Robert Manning; Bill Valliere
Source: In: Todd, Sharon, comp., ed. 2002. Proceedings of the 2001 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-289. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 233-238.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (346.44 KB)
DescriptionAs use in national parks and related areas continues to rise and visitors and types of activities continue to diversify, we are challenged to balance use and preservation in parks, wilderness and related areas. Faced with these challenges, integrative approaches to defining, monitoring and managing ecological, social and managerial setting attributes is crucial. This research outlined in this paper has two objectives. The first objective is to inventory and map selected ecological, social and managerial setting attributes that define wilderness quality in Yosemite National Park. Using GIS technology, overlay maps of these setting attributes will assist in determining the types and distribution of wilderness experiences, associated ecological impacts and concomitant opportunity zones for the wilderness portion of the park. The second objective is to evaluate relative tradeoff's among wilderness setting attributes. Evaluations of these tradeoff's will be analyzed and will allow management to decide how to best mitigate recreational impacts while not hindering, to an unacceptable degree, the freedoms and other qualities often associated with wilderness experiences.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNewman, Peter; Manning, Robert; Valliere, Bill. 2002. Integrating resource, social and managerial indicators of quality into carrying capacity decision making. In: Todd, Sharon, comp., ed. 2002. Proceedings of the 2001 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-289. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 233-238.
- Balancing tradeoffs in the Denali Wilderness: an expanded approach to normative research using stated choice analysis
- Carrying capacity as "informed judgment": The values of science and the science of values
- Keeping it wild: Mapping wilderness character in the United States
XML: View XML