Skip to Main Content
Elk viewing in Pennsylvania: an evolving eco-tourism systemAuthor(s): Bruce E. Lord; Charles H. Strauss; Michael J. Powell
Source: In: Todd, Sharon, comp., ed. 2002. Proceedings of the 2001 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-289. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 249-252.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (259.52 KB)
DescriptionIn 1997, the Pennsylvania Game Commission established an Elk Viewing Area within Pennsylvania's elk range. The viewing area has become the focus for a developing eco-tourism system. During the four years of operation, a research team from Penn State has measured the number of visitors, their expenditure patterns, and other parameters of their visit. The trends observed during this period provide a useful insight into an evolving eco-tourism system.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLord, Bruce E.; Strauss, Charles H.; Powell, Michael J. 2002. Elk viewing in Pennsylvania: an evolving eco-tourism system. In: Todd, Sharon, comp., ed. 2002. Proceedings of the 2001 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-289. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 249-252.
- Competing values: a case study of Pennsylvania's elk herd as a tourism attraction
- Opinions of elk viewers on a proposed Pennsylvania elk hunt
- Adaptive environmental management of tourism in the province of Siena, Italy using the ecological footprint.
XML: View XML