Skip to Main Content
Basinwide Estimation of Habitat and Fish Populations in StreamsAuthor(s): C. Andrew Dolloff; David G. Hankin; Gordon H. Reeves
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SE-83. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 25 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southeastern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (5.0 MB)
DescriptionBasinwide visual estimation techniques (BVET) are statistically reliable and cost effective for estimating habitat and fish populations across entire watersheds. Survey teams visit habitats in every reach of the study area to record visual observations. At preselected intervals, teams also record actual measurements. These observations and measurements are used to compute calibration ratios that correct for observer bias. This publication introduces modifications of the original BVET protocols and provides examples and practical instructions for use by resource managers.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDolloff, C. Andrew; Hankin, David G.; Reeves, Gordon H. 1993. Basinwide Estimation of Habitat and Fish Populations in Streams. Gen. Tech. Rep. SE-83. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 25 p.
KeywordsVisual observations, sampling for trout, diving, electrofishing, monitoring, area measurements on watersheds
- Quantifying clutter: A comparison of four methods and their relationship to bat detection
- Relationship Between Site Disturbance and Forest Harvesting Equipment Traffic
- Interdisciplinary studies of eruption at Chaiten Volcano, Chile
XML: View XML