Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Impacts of Hugo Timber Damage on Primary Wood Manufacturers in South CarolinaAuthor(s): John H. Syme; Joseph R. Saucier
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SE-80. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 28 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southeastern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (2.3 MB)
DescriptionHurricane Hugo, which struck South Carolina in September of 1989, destroyed a significant proportion of the State's timber. Primary wood-products manufacturers in 26 counties were surveyed by mail questionnaire and personal interview to determine Hugo's impacts on their current and future operations. Competition for timber since Hugo has intensified, resulting in rising prices for timber and logs, expanding procurement areas, and declining quality of available timber. Manufacturers of solid-wood products have been impacted the most; a few firms have gone out of business and several face serious future survival problems. Hugo appears to have had little impact on pulp and paper manufacturers, which project an increasing volume of timber consumption in the future.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSyme, John H.; Saucier, Joseph R. 1992. Impacts of Hugo Timber Damage on Primary Wood Manufacturers in South Carolina. Gen. Tech. Rep. SE-80. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 28 p.
Keywordshurricane Hugo, forest industry, wood-based manufacturing, timber volume, timber inventory
- Tongass National Forest timber demand: projections for 2015 to 2030
- Wyoming’s forest products industry and timber harvest, 2014: Part I: Timber harvest, products, and flow
- California’s forest products industry and timber harvest, 2006
XML: View XML