Skip to Main Content
Ultrasonic detection of knots, cross grain and bark pockets in wooden pallet partsAuthor(s): Mohammed F. Kabir; Daniel L. Schmoldt; Mark E. Schafer
Source: Proceedings, World Conference on Timber Engineering 2000
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (261.85 KB)
DescriptionThis study investigates defect detection in wooden pallet parts using ultrasonic scanning. Yellow-poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera, L.) deckboards were scanned using two rolling transducers in a pitch-catch arrangement to detect unsound and sound knots, bark pockets and cross grain. Data were collected, stored, and processed using LabView? software. Six ultrasonic parameters-three involving time-of-flight, two involving ultrasound pulse energy, and one using ultrasound pulse duration-were measured for each defect type. Four of the six parameters were affected by transmission through unsound knot regions. Sound knots also showed decreased values forthe energy-related parameters. All ultrasonic parameters changed sharply for bark pockets. Cross grain also affected ultrasound energy transmission. Small coefficients of variation for repeated measurements indicates that this scanning arrangement is stable and scanning rate has little effect on the measurements. Results indicate that on-line detection of these defects is possible by ultrasonic scanning.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKabir, Mohammed F.; Schmoldt, Daniel L.; Schafer, Mark E. 2000. Ultrasonic detection of knots, cross grain and bark pockets in wooden pallet parts. Proceedings, World Conference on Timber Engineering 2000
- Nondestructive evaluation of defects in wood pallet parts by ultrasonic scanning
- Classifying defects in pallet stringers by ultrasonic scanning
- Ultrasound pallet part evaluator/grader and cant scanner
XML: View XML