AppBuilder for DSSTools; an application development environment for developing decision support systems in PrologAuthor(s): Geneho Kim; Donald Nute; H. Michael Rauscher; David L. Loftis
Source: Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 27: 107-125.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.4 MB)
DescriptionA programming environment for developing complex decision support systems (DSSs) should support rapid prototyping and modular design, feature a flexible knowledge representation scheme and sound inference mechanisms, provide project management, and be domain independent. We have previously developed DSSTools (Decision Support System Tools), a reusable, domain-independent, and open-ended toolkit for developing DSSs in Prolog. DSSTools provides modular design, a flexible knowledge representation scheme, and sound inference mechanisms to support development of any knowledge-based system components of a DSS. It also provides tools for building the DSS interface and for integrating other non-Prolog components of a DSS such as simulation models, databases, or geographical information system, into a multi-component DSS. DSSTools does not provide project management, and its complex syntax makes rapid prototyping difficult. AppBuilder for DSSTools is a GUI-based [graphical user interface-based] application development environment for developing DSSs in DSSTools that supports rapid prototyping and project management. AppBuilder's easy-to use dialogues for managing and building knowledge-based and top-level control components of a DSS free developers from having to memorize complex syntax and reduce development time without sacrificing the flexibility of the underlying toolkit. AppBuilder has been used to develop the Regeneration DSS, a system for predicting the regeneration of Southern Appalachian hardwoods. AppBuilder is an application development environment for both prototyping and developing a complete DSS.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKim, Geneho; Nute, Donald; Rauscher, H. Michael; Loftis, David L. 2000. AppBuilder for DSSTools; an application development environment for developing decision support systems in Prolog. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 27: 107-125.
- NetWeaver for EMDS user guide (version 1.1): a knowledge base development system.
- A method for integrating multiple components in a decision support system
- Knowledge-based geographic information systems on the Macintosh computer: a component of the GypsES project
XML: View XML