Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Eastern United States Hardwood Sawtimber Resources and Export PotentialAuthor(s): Philip A. Araman
Source: Proceedings, SOFEW/MWFE Joint Annual Meeting. 8pp.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (59 KB)
DescriptionTo look at the export potential of the Eastern hardwood sawtimber resources, including the Southern and Northern regions, hardwood resource data were compiled from USDA Forest Service state resorce evaluation reports on a set of select export species. The species are the select oaks, yellow birch, hard maple, black walnut, black cherry, and the ashes. These species were chosen on the basis of their importance to the export market. Resource data are presented on standing hardwood sawtimber (inventory, growth, and removals) of the select export species, and on all hardwood sawtimber. Estimates of standing sawtimber for 1985 are presented along with projections for 1990, 1995, and 2000 for the Eastern United States and the Northern and Southern regions. The relative export potential of the hardwood resources by state was determined by the Preferred Available eXport species (PAX) ranking system. In this system, we first order the first 25 states by total quantity of select export species. Next, we evaluate these 25 states with an Export Index formula. The formula uses data on the quantity and quality of the standing sawtimber in the select export species. A premium is placed on select oak sawtimber because about two-thirds of the hardwood product exports are oak. A premium also is placed on grade 1 log sawtimber material because many of these logs are exportable; and if processed in the United States, they contain sizeable amounts of exportable high-grade lumber or veneer. The PAX rankings are presented for the top 25 states in eight groupings. Note that other factors could be considered that could change these results.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAraman, Philip A. 1987. Eastern United States Hardwood Sawtimber Resources and Export Potential. Proceedings, SOFEW/MWFE Joint Annual Meeting. 8pp.
- North American Trading Outlook For Hardwood
- Eastern U.S. Select Export Species Hardwood Resources
- Vermont stumpage price trends revisited: with comparisons to New Hampshire
XML: View XML