Skip to Main Content
Validation of the ROMI-RIP rough mill simulatorAuthor(s): Edward R. Thomas; Urs Buehlmann
Source: Forest Products Journal 52(2):23-29
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (518.86 KB)
DescriptionThe USDA Forest Service's ROMI-RIP rough mill rip-first simulation program is a popular tool for analyzing rough mill conditions, determining more efficient rough mill practices, and finding optimal lumber board cut-up patterns. However, until now, the results generated by ROMI-RIP have not been rigorously compared to those of an actual rough mill. Validating the ROMI-RIP processing model involved comparing gang-rip, chopsaw, and overall yields to those obtained in an actual state-of-the-art rough mill. A 930-board-foot lumber sample was digitized by recording all defect locations, sizes, and types as well as board size and grade, allowing the rough mill and ROMI-RIP to process identical lumber samples. Results showed that the ROMI-RIP software accurately simulated the actual rough mill when the software exactly simulated the actual rough mill's settings.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThomas, Edward R.; Buehlmann, Urs. 2002. Validation of the ROMI-RIP rough mill simulator. Forest Products Journal 52(2):23-29
- ROMI-RIP: Rough Mill RIP-first simulator user's guide
- ROMI-3: Rough-Mill Simulator Version 3.0: User's Guide
- ROMI 4.0: Rough mill simulator 4.0 users manual
XML: View XML