Skip to Main Content
The origin of Ceratocystis fagacearum, the oak wilt fungusAuthor(s): Jennifer Juzwik; Thomas C. Harrington; William L. MacDonald; David N. Appel
Source: Annual Review of Phytopathology. 46: 13-26.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (124.24 KB)
DescriptionThe oak wilt pathogen, Ceratocystis fagacearum, may be another example of a damaging, exotic species in forest ecosystems in the United States. Though C. fagacearum has received much research attention, the origin of the fungus is unknown. The pathogen may have been endemic at a low incidence until increased disturbances, changes in land use, and forest management created conditions favorable for disease epidemics. The host genus Quercus contains some relatively resistant species native to the United States, further supporting the hypothesis that the pathogen is native in origin. However, there are also many common, highly susceptible Quercus species--a characteristic typical of introduced pathogens. Most convincingly, studies have shown that the known populations of C. fagacearum have experienced a severe genetic bottleneck that can only be explained by a single introduction. The weight of evidence indicates that C. fagacearum is an introduced pathogen, with possible origins in Central or South America, or Mexico.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJuzwik, Jennifer; Harrington, Thomas C.; MacDonald, William L.; Appel, David N. 2008. The origin of Ceratocystis fagacearum, the oak wilt fungus. Annual Review of Phytopathology. 46: 13-26.
Keywordsexotic pathogens, invasive species, Quercus
- A review of oak wilt management: a summary of treatment options and their efficacy
- Risk analysis and guidelines for harvest activities in wisconsin oak timberlands to minimize oak wilt threat
- Draft genome sequence of the fungus associated with oak-wilt mortality in South Korea, Raffaelea quercus-mongolicae KACC44405
XML: View XML