Skip to Main Content
Satellite detection of land-use change and effects on regional forest aboveground biomass estimatesAuthor(s): Daolan Zheng; Linda S. Heath; Mark J. Ducey
Source: Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 144: 67-79.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (617.55 KB)
DescriptionWe used remote-sensing-driven models to detect land-cover change effects on forest aboveground biomass (AGB) density (Mg·ha−1, dry weight) and total AGB (Tg) in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan USA, between the years 1992-2001, and conducted an evaluation of the approach. Inputs included remotely-sensed 1992 reflectance data and land-cover map (University of Maryland) from Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer (AVHRR) and 2001 products from Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) at 1-km resolution for the region; and 30-m resolution land-cover maps from the National Land Cover Data (NLCD) for a subarea to conduct nine simulations to address our questions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZheng, Daolan; Heath, Linda S.; Ducey, Mark J. 2008. Satellite detection of land-use change and effects on regional forest aboveground biomass estimates. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 144: 67-79.
Keywordsbiomass density, change detection, landcover map, remote sensing, total biomass
- Forest biomass estimated from MODIS and FIA data in the Lake States: MN, WI and MI, USA
- Forest carbon dynamics associated with growth and disturbances in Oklahoma and Texas, 1992-2006
- Quantifying scaling effects on satellite-derived forest area estimates for the conterminous USA
XML: View XML