Skip to Main Content
Forest regulation methods and silvicultural systems: what are they?Author(s): Ivan L. Sander; Burnell C. Fischer
Source: In: Hutchinson, Jay G., ed. Central hardwood notes. St. Paul, MN.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 2.03
Publication Series: Other
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (16.24 KB)
Description"Forest regulation methods" and "silvicultural systems" are important forest resource management concepts but there is much confusion about them. They often mean different things to different individuals. Confusion exists in part because "forest regulation methods" and "silvicultural systems" often use the same terminology. Also, the regulation methods described in forestry literature were conceived and developed to produce regular sustained yields of timber products from a forest. Now, there are often resources or values other than timber that may be more important to a forest landowner. Here is how we interpret and use these terms in the Central Hardwood Notes.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSander, Ivan L.; Fischer, Burnell C. 1989. Forest regulation methods and silvicultural systems: what are they?. In: Hutchinson, Jay G., ed. Central hardwood notes. St. Paul, MN.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 2.03
- Even-aged silviculture for upland central hardwoods
- Management methods and silvicultural systems: what are they?
- Forest control and regulation ... a comparison of traditional methods and alternatives
XML: View XML