Skip to Main Content
Prescribing regeneration treatments for mixed-oak forests in the Mid-Atlantic regionAuthor(s): Patrick H. Brose; Kurt W. Gottschalk; Stephen B. Horsley; Peter D. Knopp; James N. Kochenderfer; Barbara J. McGuinness; Gary W. Miller; Todd E. Ristau; Scott H. Stoleson; Susan L. Stout
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-33. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 100 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (4.85 MB)
DescriptionIncludes guidelines for using the SILVAH decision-support system to perpetuate oak forests in the Mid-Atlantic region. Six chapters provide information on values of oak forests, inventory methods, key decision variables, decision charts, and silvicultural prescriptions, as well as guidance on fostering young stands. Sample tally sheets and SILVAH computer printouts are included in the Appendix.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrose, Patrick H.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Horsley, Stephen B.; Knopp, Peter D.; Kochenderfer, James N.; McGuinness, Barbara J.; Miller, Gary W.; Ristau, Todd E.; Stoleson, Scott H.; Stout, Susan L. 2008. Prescribing regeneration treatments for mixed-oak forests in the Mid-Atlantic region. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-33. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 100 p.
Keywordsherbicides, prescribed fire, Quercus, shelterwood system, sustainable forestry
- Underplanting to sustain future stocking of oak (Quercus) in temperate deciduous forests
- The fireoak literature of eastern North America: synthesis and guidelines
- Draft genome sequence of the fungus associated with oak-wilt mortality in South Korea, Raffaelea quercus-mongolicae KACC44405
XML: View XML