Skip to Main Content
Wisconsin's forest resources, 2005Author(s): Charles, H. (Hobie) Perry; Gary J. Brand
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-2. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 32 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (527.49 KB)
DescriptionThe annual forest inventory of Wisconsin continues, and this document reports 2001-05 moving averages for most variables and comparisons between 2000 and 2005 for growth, removals, and mortality. Summary resource tables can be generated through the Forest Inventory Mapmaker website at http://ncrs2.fs.fed.us/4801/fiadb/index. htm. Estimates from this inventory show a total of 16.1 million acres of forest land in the State. The estimate of total net volume of all-live trees on forest land is 22.3 billion cubic feet (ft3). In Wisconsin, timberland area totals 15.9 million acres, and net growingstock volume on timberland is 20.0 billion ft3. All-live, aboveground tree biomass on timberland is estimated at 597 million dry tons. Between 2000 and 2005, the average annual net growth of growing stock on timberland was 605.7 million ft3 per year. Average annual removals of growing stock totaled 362.5 million ft3 per year. Mortality was 176.4 million ft3 per year. These estimates generally show a healthy, growing forest despite more than 222,000 acres of forest that were defoliated by the jack pine budworm in 2005.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPerry, Charles, H. (Hobie); Brand, Gary J. 2006. Wisconsin''s forest resources, 2005. Resour. Bull. NRS-2. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 32 p.
Keywordsannual inventory, forest land, timberland, forest type, volume, biomass, growth, removals, mortality
XML: View XML