Skip to Main Content
Improving quality and value of future hardwoodsAuthor(s): Larry R. Frye
Source: In: Hutchinson, Jay G., ed. Central hardwood notes. St. Paul, MN.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 6.02
Publication Series: Other
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.92 MB)
DescriptionThe central hardwood area is highly regarded both in this country and abroad for the high quality timber grown on both public and private lands. Buyers of standing timber and logs for lumber and veneer often look to this region first to meet their needs for raw materials. And these buyers have traditionally paid a lot more for quality timber than the usual market price for ordinary trees and logs. As worldwide supplies of quality timber continue to shrink, the demand for quality central hardwoods will grow. A strong potential demand coupled with rapidly growing young stands throughout the entire region, will provide abundant opportunities to encourage the production of high quality hardwoods for future harvests. The knowledge and technology are available-waiting to be put to use.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFrye, Larry R. 1989. Improving quality and value of future hardwoods. In: Hutchinson, Jay G., ed. Central hardwood notes. St. Paul, MN.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 6.02
- Grading hardwood trees
- Defining Hardwood Veneer Log Quality Attributes
- Planting and care of fine hardwood seedlings: Nursery production of hardwood seedlings
XML: View XML