Skip to Main Content
Defensible space in the news: public discussion of a neglected topicAuthor(s): Jayne Fingerman Johnson; David N. Bengston; David P. Fan
Source: In: McCaffrey, S.M., tech. ed. The public and wildland fire management: social science findings for managers. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-1. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 169-174.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (272.32 KB)
DescriptionManagers have an opportunity during times of peak media coverage of wildfire to expand the discussion about defensible space from the current focus on vegetation clearing to include the full range of activities a homeowner can undertake to mitigate damage. Currently, news media discussion of wildfire is overwhelmingly dominated by firefighting, and discussion of defensible space is a minute fraction of the total. Coverage of defensible space focuses on vegetation clearing around homes to the exclusion of other practices such as maintenance and fire-resistant building materials. Only 20 percent of all defensible space media coverage mentions defensible space around communities.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
CitationJohnson, Jayne Fingerman; Bengston, David N.; Nelson, Kristen C.; Fan, David P. 2006. Defensible space in the news: public discussion of a neglected topic. In: McCaffrey, S.M., tech. ed. The public and wildland fire management: social science findings for managers. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-1. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 169-174.
Keywordscommunication, fuels treatments, defensible space, wildfire management, social acceptance, education, wildland urban interface
- Communicating with homeowners in the interface about defensible space
- Attitudes toward roads on the National Forests: An analysis of the News Media.
- Mitigating Wildfire Risk in the Wildland Urban Interface: The Role of Regulations
XML: View XML