Skip to Main Content
Kansas forests 2005Author(s): W. Keith Moser; Mark H. Hansen; Robert L. Atchison; Gary J. Brand; Brett J. Butler; Susan J. Crocker; Dacia M. Meneguzzo; Mark D. Nelson; Charles H. Perry; William H. IV Reading; Barry T. Wilson; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-26. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 125 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (5.86 MB)
DescriptionThe first completed annual inventory of Kansas forests reports 2.1 million acres of forest land, roughly 4 percent of the total land area in the State. Softwood forests account for nearly 5 percent of the total timberland area. Oak/hickory forest types make up 56 percent of the total hardwood forest land area. Elm/ash/cottonwood accounts for more than 30 percent of the timberland area. The proportion of Kansas' timberland with trees 19 inches and larger remained about the same over the last 40 years (38 percent in 1965 versus 38 percent today). Kansas' forests have continued to increase in volume. In 2005, net volume of growing stock on timberland was an estimated 1.5 billion cubic feet compared with 0.5 billion cubic feet in 1965. Live-tree biomass on forest land in Kansas amounted to 72.3 million dry tons in 2005. More than 3 percent was in small stands, 26 percent was in medium-size stands, and 71 percent was in large stands. Oak species account for nearly 15 percent. About 95 percent of Kansas forest land is held by private landowners.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMoser, W. Keith; Hansen, Mark H.; Atchison, Robert L.; Brand, Gary J.; Butler, Brett J.; Crocker, Susan J.; Meneguzzo, Dacia M.; Nelson, Mark D.; Perry, Charles H.; Reading, William H. IV; Wilson, Barry T.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2008. Kansas forests 2005. Resour. Bull. NRS-26. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 125 p.
Keywordsforest area, forest health, completed annual inventory
XML: View XML