Skip to Main Content
Urban cover mapping using digital, high-resolution aerial imageryAuthor(s): Soojeong Myeong; David J. Nowak; Paul F. Hopkins; Robert H. Brock
Source: Urban Ecosystems. 5: 243-256.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (563.6 KB)
DescriptionHigh-spatial resolution digital color-infrared aerial imagery of Syracuse, NY was analyzed to test methods for developing land cover classifications for an urban area. Five cover types were mapped: tree/shrub, grass/herbaceous, bare soil, water and impervious surface. Challenges in high-spatial resolution imagery such as shadow effect and similarity in spectral response between classes were found. Classification confusion among objects with similar spectral responses occurred between water and dark impervious surfaces, concrete and baresoil, and grass/herbaceous and trees/shrub. Methods of incorporating texture, band ratios, masking of water objects, sieve functions, and majority filters were evaluated for their potential to improve the classification accuracy. After combining these various techniques, overall cover accuracy for the study area was 81.75%. Highest accuracies occurred for water (100%), tree/shrub (86.2%) and impervious surfaces (82.6%); lowest accuracy were for grass/herbaceous (69.3%) and bare soil (40.0%). Methods of improving cover map accuracy are discussed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMyeong, Soojeong; Nowak, David J.; Hopkins, Paul F.; Brock, Robert H. 2003. Urban cover mapping using digital, high-resolution aerial imagery. Urban Ecosystems. 5: 243-256.
Keywordsremote sensing, image processing, NDVI, image texture, map accuracy assessment
- Response of two semiarid grasslands to a second fire application
- Range management in the chaparral type and its ecological basis: The status of our knowledge
- Invasion of the exotic grasses: Mapping their progression via satellite
XML: View XML